Information Technology

Delivery of ICT at Uffculme School is through both dedicated lessons and cross-curricular provision.

All students at Uffculme School study ICT for a minimum of one hour per week in KS3 in a dedicated ICT suite. All departments contribute to the enhancement of students’ ICT experience in a wide variety of ways. Access to computers is also provided at lunchtime with a staffed ICT room being made available for the completion of school work.

The school has invested heavily in its ICT provision with a range of desktop PCs, tablets and laptops being available to students. A friendly wi-fi network allows students to connect to the internet in order to complete their studies when not in an ICT suite.           

Curriculum and Qualifications

Key Stage 3

Students have a minimum of a one hour long dedicated ICT lesson per week in Year 7, 8 & 9. The ICT curriculum is continually evolving in order to expose our students to a wide range of software and technologies.

Year 7

Year 7 is spent grounding the students in terms of getting into good habits when using computers. For example the ‘Getting Organised’ unit looks at the appropriate use of emails. They will look at using different software packages from Microsoft Excel to Serif DrawPlus.

Year 8

Year 8 sees students create, amongst other units, their own Scary Story using Audacity and a fully functioning seating plan (with associated financial summaries) for the school’s drama hall: The Venue.

Year 9

Year 9 students have the opportunity to build their own website in Serif WebPlus as well as exploring binary/denary numbers.

Key Stage 4

Students who wish to continue their studies at KS4 have a choice of pathways: either ICT or Computer Science.

ICT Currently the ICT pathway follows the BTEC Level 2 Technical Award in Digital Information Technologies, see here for more detail. This is a two year course with 3 components being equivalent to a GCSE. Component 1 (User Interfaces) & Component 2 (Using Data) are coursework based and make up 60% of the grade with Component 3 (Digital Working Practices) being exam based and making up the remaining 40% of the overall grade. Students follow this course in Year 10 and Year 11, having two dedicated lessons a week in both years. At the end of the course students will receive a grade from Level 1 Pass right the way up to Level 2 Distinction*.

Computer Science The other Key Stage 4 option in this curriculum area is Computer Science.  This course spans Years 10 and 11 with two lessons per week although the Key Stage 3 curriculum is designed to help prepare students for this course should they choose it.  The course we follow is from the OCR exam board: J276 Computer Science (9-1).  More information from the exam board can be found here.  The assessment for this course is entirely exam based, with two exam components: Paper 1 (Computer Systems) and Paper 2 (Computational Thinking, Algorithms and Programming).  There is also a 20 hour compulsory programming coursework component that needs to be completed but is not assessed as part of the final GCSE grade.


Homework in ICT is set in line with the school’s homework policy. The department makes strong use of Class Charts to set, store and grade homework from students in all years.        

Extra Curricular Opportunities

Students have the opportunity to attend the Raspberry Pi club which runs at lunchtime. Older students could apply to become ICT prefects and would have certain responsibilities in and around the department. Every student has access to The Cloud where they can find details of extracurricular tasks to complete. There are badges available for the Bronze, Silver and Gold challenges.


If you require further information about the ICT curriculum at KS3 or KS4, please contact Mr Ledger, Head of Department, at